How can we remove unwanted component from managed solution, which is installed at client environment? This question can strike you when there is a requirement to delete component, which you think is either no longer usable or should not be part of managed solution.
Suppose you provided your managed solution to client and there are some workflows that are not used any more. Now as a result you may want to delete it from client environment. If you have ever tried to delete components like; workflow, web resources, entities etc. from your managed solution, it might have occurred to you that it is difficult to delete components from managed solution.
You can refer this blog, which explains one way of how we can remove component from managed solution. The blog targets Microsoft Dynamics CRM 2011 and 2013. Now in Dynamics CRM 2016, we have better (OOB) way to accomplish this task.
In this blog, it is illustrated how one can remove component from managed solution using OOB solution functionality that was introduced in Dynamics CRM 2016. If you would like to know about the solution enhancement, you could refer these following blogs, Solution Management with Microsoft Dynamics CRM 2016 and Solution Patching in Microsoft Dynamics CRM 2016.
1. We have created a solution named as “Base Solution 2” (version 188.8.131.52) in original organization which contains below three components,
Select solution and click on “Clone Solution” button to clone selected solution. See below screen shot.5. Export this cloned solution as managed solution and import it on target organization where Base Solution 2 of version 184.108.40.206 is already installed with three components.
7. When solution import completes, you can see “Apply Solution Upgrade” option.
8. After applying solution upgrade, the two differences can be seen in already installed managed solution.
- Version got changed to 220.127.116.11. And…
- The workflow component got removed. You can see in below screen shot that “Update Contact’ workflow does not exist in managed solution.
If you came across with the situation where you would require to remove components from Dynamics CRM managed solution, you can use OOB solution functionalities.
Completed with Dynamics CRM implementation? Whats next? Monitor User Adoption.