We recently had business requirement to show account details (account number, Email) horizontally by “Account Name” in Power BI Report. When we selected table to display data in our Power BI report, by default it display data vertically, as you can see in our below screenshot:
We explored more and figure out that we can’t format table to show values horizontally. So for workaround by using matrix we can format table to display data horizontally.
Please follow below steps to show data horizontally in table:
1. At first we need to select Matrix to display data instead of table, as you can see in below screenshot:
2. Now you need to select fields that you want to show in table, here in our case we are showing Account name (name) as a Column, Account Number (account number) and Email (emailaddress1) as a Values. Please check in our below screenshot:
When we added a text field to the ‘values’ area, the fieldname was displayed as ‘First FieldName’ rather than just ‘FieldName’. In our case, it shows field name as “First account number” and “First emailaddress1”. So we have renamed both field name.
FYI, by default selected property for text field is “First”.
Why does it show “First Field Name” rather than “Field Name“?
We used the matrix so it groups the result based on “Column” value. In our example the column name is “Name” (i.e. Account Name) so it groups the result by “Account Name” value.
We added Account Number under values and selected property as “First” (i.e. First Account Number). Because of this grouping on Account Name it shows only first Account number where multiple Accounts have same name. For better understanding please refer the below example:
Table: Sample data
- When we selected First option for “Account Number” column i.e. First Account Number
- When we selected Last option for “Account Number” column i.e. Last Account Number
- When we selected Count option property for Account Number i.e. Count of Account Number
So, according to your requirement you need to select property like First, Last, Count, Count (Distinct) and if you want rename the field column name.
3. In final steps you need to turn on “Shows on rows” property under Values in Format tab. Please follow our below screenshots:
4. Now as you can see in our below screenshot our table data Account Number and Email are formatted horizontally and showing by Account Name.
By using Matrix feature of Power BI, we can aligned values in table horizontally.