The Word Template feature is introduced in the MS Dynamics CRM 2016. It is useful to create templates for enabling you to generate documents in a standardised format.
3 ways in which a word template can be created:
1. Navigate to Settings -> Templates -> Document Templates -> New -> Select Word Template and entity. This enables you to create a template for the entity which has been selected.
2. Navigate to entity. for e.g. for the entity, Quote. Navigate to Select a record -> click on more option (…) -> Select a Word Template and then click on “Create Word Template”
3. Navigate to entity for e.g., for the entity, Quote. Navigate to open a record -> click on more option (…)-> Select a Word Template and then Click on “Create Word Template”
Here are the steps to create a word template for the purpose of creating a Product Quotation template.
1. Navigate to entity e.g. If the entity is ‘Quote’. Navigate to select a record -> click on more option (…) -> Click on Word Templates -> Click on Create Word Template
2. Select a Word Template.
3. Select an entity from the drop down list, Filter by entity.
4. Click the Select Entity button to select the corresponding relationship entity. Multiple relationship entities are selected. Here, the entities, ‘Quote Product’, ‘Account’ and ‘Contact’ are selected.
5. Click on the Download Template button. After the template gets downloaded, open a document in MS office. When a fresh document is opened, the Developer tab is disabled. So, before moving ahead, enable the Developer tab so that the attributes are included.
Steps for enabling the Developer tab.
Navigate to the Word Template file -> Click Options -> Navigate to Customize Ribbon -> Check Developer Option and then click OK.
6. Click on Developer tab -> Select XML Mapping Plane. The XML Mapping plane appears to the right side of document.
7. Select the link urn:microsoft-crm/document-template/quote/1084/ from XML Mapping drop down list.
The attributes of the selected entities appear in the XML Mapping area.
8. To create template format.
Steps for selecting the attributes for the document
For e.g, for, Effective date right click on the attribute, effectivefrom from XML Mapping -> select the Insert Content Control and then select the Date Picker option.
Do not capital the first letter of logical name of attribute.
Make sure that the first letter of the logical name of the attribute is in the lower case. If first letter appears to be in upper case, then navigate to File option in Word Template -> select Option -> Select Proofing -> Click AutoCorrect Options.
Uncheck the option Capitalize first letter of sentences from Auto Correct tab and click on OK button.
9. Select the customer name then right click customeridname and select Insert Content Control and select the Plain Text option.
10. To display the records of the sub-grid, create a table and insert the attribute from Insert Content Control option.
11. To display all records of sub-grid, first select a row from table then right click relationship entity from XML Mapping and then select the Insert Content Control followed by the Repeating option.
12. Save the document in .docx format.
13. 3 ways which could be used to upload a template:
Navigate to Settings -> Templates -> Document Templates -> UPLOAD TEMPLATE and then Browse the template.
NOTE: While uploading the word template through this step, the document is displayed in Word Templates under the Word Templates option.
Navigate to entity for e.g., for the entity, Quote -> Select a record -> click more options (…) -> Select a Word Template -> Click Create Word Template -> Click the Upload button -> browse the file.
Navigate to entity for e.g., for the entity, Quote -> Open a record -> click more options (…)
-> Select a Word Template -> Click Create Word Template -> Click the Upload button and browse the file.
NOTE: While uploading the document through the 2 ways mentioned above, the document is displayed in the Personal Word Template under the Word Template option.
14. In order to send the quotation to the customer, Select a customer record -> click more option (…) -> Select a Word Template -> Click Uploaded template for downloading the document. After opening the document, it would appear as per the screenshot mentioned below.
NOTE: The word template feature is for a single record. In case of multiple records, the word template option is not displayed.
One Pic = 1000 words! Analyze data 90% faster with visualization apps!
Get optimum visualization of Dynamics 365 CRM data with –
Kanban Board – Visualize Dynamics 365 CRM data in Kanban view by categorizing entity records in lanes and rows as per their status, priority, etc.
Map My Relationships – Map My Relationships – Visualize connections and relationships between Dynamics 365 CRM entities or related records in a Mind Map view.